Monday, September 7, 2009

All about School OR All about Cache... You Pick

All About School...
So... (funny thing, I started this blog a week ago and only got that far!) Continuing... So...last week was the first week of school. I should have been writing everthing down every day, cause I really don't remember a lot about it, but I feel I should say something. This school year started out much more smoothly than years past. Maybe it was the fact that I missed the last 15 days of school last year because I was down in Ogden, so I was aching to get back to my classroom; or maybe it was because this is my 4th year doing this. Either way, I was more ready than I ever have been.

I got new carpet in my room this summer and had to have everything out of my room, so when they started putting things back in I had them rearrange a little bit. Actually, I haven't kept my room the same two years in a row, and sometimes in the middle of the school year I've changed it too, but I think I got it right this time. It only took me 4 years to get it right. Here are some pictures.


The back of my room, my guided reading table and aide table. This is where my teacher's desk and computer used to be.
(Never mind the clutter, it will eventually get put away :))
The front of the room. My new spot for my teacher's desk. I had a battle with myself over being the kind of teacher who had a desk in the front giving the idea that I was more a dictator than a facilitator of learning, but the way it's working I don't feel like a dictator. I'm very much NOT a lecturer! We do a lot of group work and centers. Way more fun for me and the kiddies!

Our writing center and you can't see it well unless you blow up the picture, but the black board is John's spot to have the kids guess the score of the next Aggie game. This one was USU vs Utah. One of my students guessed it exactly. She gets 2 candy bars!

Student desks. It looks like there's so many. I'm not usually a fan of rows for most of the year. Just the first few weeks so I can get to know the students. We are mostly set up in groups.


The desk with the lamp is my teacher's helper desk. They get to sit in a teacher's seat and have their own table if they would like. They must keep all the rules that week otherwise we get a new teacher's helper. The kids LOVE this .

* Not pictures( I don't know why) is my reading center. 2 couches a papazan and a lamp. The kids LOVE this place as well.


I have a really good class this year. 2 less than last year actually. (30) I feel more prepared this year than I have my previous 3 years. It's great being able to work with the same teacher 2 years in a row. We are actually at least a week ahead.

I really feel like I have The 2 best jobs in the world. Being a mom of course first and then being a teacher. Both are so rewarding! It really feels awesome when a student comes in from Recess and says, "Yes! We're doing Math now!" and means it. Or when I hear, "Mrs. Swenson is the best teacher ever! " Now I know that's not true, ( so you don't think I'm getting cocky) But it sure is nice to hear that! It makes me want to be the best teacher and when I stop feeling that, I shouldn't teach any more. I don't care what anyone says, if you're teaching for money, you are teaching for the wrong reason!


*************************************************************************************






All About Cache...



Going to work and leaving Cache with John wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Not that it's easy, but I don't have to drop him off at a day care with lots of screaming kids I get to leave him with his wonderful very attentive Daddy. I feel very blessed that that is our situation, and what a lucky little boy to have such a great Dad. They have lots of fun while I'm gone, doing strength exercises and Tummy time, and I'm sure playing a little play station and watchin Sports Center. Ahh... Such boys! :)


Then John takes Cache over to Courtney's for about an hour till I come pick him up! Court is wonderful with him as well, and is such a sweety to take him when she's got a little one of her own. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends who can love my baby too! Thanks girl!


Anyway... my day actually flies by, but as soon as the bell rings I get antsy and can't wait to see my little buddy again. He's been growing so much in the last week. He's starting to focus on faces and objects better. He'll follow us around the room and even let out a squeal if he needs our attention. He still grunts and makes his billy goat sound ALL the time, but his sounds are turning into coos somtimes now. He definitely talks more than he cries. We only get a good cry if we're not fast enough feeding him. Any other time it's more like a whimper.

He's spending a little more time on his tummy but still hates it, but doesn't mind floor time for awhile if it's on his back. He can stay there for a bit by himself, but then gets lonely and lets out a holler for someone to pay attention to him.

Right now he is in his bouncer trying to figure out how to eat his hand. He hasn't quite figured out where his thumb is.

Cache is also starting to smile a bit. I've been anxious for that! The Poor little guy just didn't have a lot to smile about his first 3 months I guess and now that he 's close to his 4th he's loosening up a bit. He really has the CUTEST smile. ( I'm a little bit bias though :) )

He has been sleeping at least 5 hours at night. Some nights ( like last) we get lucky and get 8 hours, that's actually happened several times now. Yeah! He is still in the bassinet right beside our bed. We gave the apnia monitor back and I'm a little bit paranoid still. I never thought I'd be that way... and probably wouldn't have been if I hadn't had cause with this one. Ah well...
Cache fits best in his 0-3 month clothes, but is still wearing Newborns, just cause I can't get use to the fact that he's growing. We boxed up his preemies last night and I wanted to cry. Ridiculous I know!

He weighs probably over 10 pounds, but again, I don't want to admit that either. One thing I can't deny is that he is a chubby little thing. I just had to unbutton the jean shorts he was wearing because they were pressing on his tummy. And so far it looks like he's got his parents genes and not his two grandpa's in the height department. Poor thing... We're just praying he'll hit a big growth spurt.

Oh and the child has NO neck. Again... hoping he'll get one soon, cause the roles under his chin are starting to collect stuff even though he gets a bath every night. SICK!

I've still been able to nurse him from 3 pm till 7 am and it's a blessing for the both of us. I love nursing! There were a few hard moments when I wondered if it was really worth it, like the 5 weeks I had to pump before I got him home and could nurse him all the time, or when he went to primaries and I lost my milk and had to pump it back, or when we travel and I think it would be way easier to just give him a bottle, but then when I'm actually nursing I'm grateful to be able to bond with my baby in that way. Plus he is so stinkin cute when he nurses! He makes the funniest noises and gets the cutest little look on his face and holds my hand, or finger. That's when my heart melts and I forget about the frustrating parts of nursing.

I guess I should probably write more often, then I might not have such long posts. Good luck reading! :)

Some of my favorite most recent pics...


Cache's first Football game. It was Skyview vs ? Skyview won and Cache did a great job at the game. It's a good thing, cause he'll be going to a lot of games soon!
Cache with friend Alli! She's gonna be such a good big sister!
Cache mad at us for putting him in the pool at the Mckay Dee NICU reunion. He got to see some of his nurses and say thankyou for helping him grow!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture!!!!!! We'll probably blow it up and have it framed. So Cute! And look at that little grin! Oh I'm just so in love with him! This was his Church outfit yesterday:)








8 comments:

Emily said...

He is too cute!!! I know what you mean about nursing that has been rough for me both times but in the end I always feel like you do, that I love it!

Danielle Prince (Mingo) said...

Anna, My year started much the same way only extremely scared about teaching fourth grade but loving every minute of it. What grade do you teach again? I would love any of your genius ideas. I'm still getting used to older kids instead of six year olds. I'm glad to know things are going well for you! Cache is adorable. looks like he's got TOUCHDOWN mastered.

Lisa said...

Yeah! This was just the blog post that I was looking forward too! I can't believe that I missed your call. I love reading about everything you're doing, and you ARE the best teacher and mommy. I can definitely tell that Cache is filling out. He looks great!

Traci said...

Oh what a sweetie! I'm glad school is going so well for ya, and I'm sure you really are a great teacher and your kids really think you are the best :)
Cache really is so cute, wow! And growing so fast! I agree with what you said about nursing, it can be so hard, but really is such a special thing.... I remember feeding Sawyer had he would stop, look up at me and smile, all the while milk would be running out of his mouth. It was so precious to me, despite the mess!
Rem will be home in a week so we'll have to get together then!

Court and Brade said...

yeah that last pic is REAL REAL cute... i just love that little boy!! And really, I am so glad that I get to watch him and get to know him... and what an ideal situation to be able to trade babies!!!! I know you love Coop just like I love Cache.. so it works great :) I haven't seen him in a few days... miss him :)

Chase and Nahomi said...

cache is SO big!! I can totally see both of you guys in him! and four months! REALLY?!?!?! we should pretty much get the worst friends in the world award since we haven't even seen the little guy and he's four months! where doese the time go?? we'll have to all get together and go to a skyview game together so the boys can be taken back to the good ole' days of football hehe. And I have to agree with you on the putting away of clothes that our babies have grown out of, it's so sad. well I hope we see you guys sooner than later, it's been far too long!

Taiya Brown said...

Oh he is so cute! You are right, that last picture of him is adorable!

Doug and Marilyn said...

That WAS quite the post! Glad to hear that school and Cache are both well. Sounds like a great setup and I'm really glad because it's hard to leave!! Hope you are enjoying your class!