I really can't put into words how happy we are to be home all together as a family. We are finally starting to feel a little more like parents, wonderful sleepless nights and all!
So... more for record keeping sake than for entertaining you all, I'm writing down as much as I can remember of the last few weeks.
June 14th, Cache's 1 month B day, we found out Cache had a urinary tract infection, after lots of labs and testing. He had been looking pale, he had to be put back on oxygen as previously mentioned and the sickness we were afraid of became a reality, which threw us for a loop (we had just heard we might get to take him home on that upcoming Friday) and stumped the nurses and doctors. "Boys don't usually get these" they'd say and they started him on antibiotics and a series of more labs. This meant another potential 7 days in the nicu and we were a little bummed. Though it was hard to accept, we were so glad that they found the infection while we were still there and were able to take care of it. Had he been home, the infection probably wouldn't have been caught right away and could have been much worse. We are so grateful to the Mckay-Dee nurses and doctors for their watchful eyes.
After a wonderful blessing from John and his Dad, Cache began to get better over the next few days. He had to have a new IV put in a different spot every day because his veins would only take them for a day, but he got stronger, got off his oxygen, which they were saying he might have to go home on, and started eating even better. His coloring came back and then finally on Wednesday June 18th Cache's labs all came back clean and they told us we were going home the next day.
That night we got to stay in a hospital room with Cache and his Apnia monitor that we would be taking home with us (this thing would wake the dead, it is that loud when it goes off) and Thursday June 19th packed up all our stuff that we'd accumulated over the last month, put Cache in his car seat and drove away from the hospital as large balls of hail pelted the car. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day! He left the hospital 5 weeks old that day, weighing 4lbs 15 oz. And was 17 1/2 in long.
John wondered if I was sad to leave. The answer to that... Um... NO! We actually loved our nurses and felt so taken care of, but I can't say that I will miss it. The drive back home seemed so short, I rode in the back with Cache who slept the whole way home and as we drove into the valley I cried. I missed it.
We were greeted by a new baby bedroom set given to Cache by Grandpa and Grandma Swenson. It was such a surprise and it was so beautiful, I cried again.
The first few days home we've spent organizing baby gifts, holding Cache, figuring out Cache's eating schedule, holding Cache, doing laundry that he's either spit up or pooped on, and holding Cache. Love Love Love holding him whenever we want. Hardly ever put him down! And when we do put him down he cries to be held again. He apparently loves it as much as we do! :)
Cache had his first Dr. appt with his pediatrician yesterday and he now weighs 5lbs 2 oz! He's such a chunk!
We actually had another appt at Logan Regional today to check out his Kidneys to try to solve the mystery of how he got a UTI. The results for the test they did today were negative hopefully meaning he won't have to have surgery. We'll find out more at an appt at Primaries on Thursday.
I know most of you won't read this whole travel log, but I wanted to write down details before I forgot them. So now here's what you've really been waiting for... Pictures!
Cache 1 month old!
Yeah we're almost outta here!
Dad's favorite outfit!
Oh and Happy Father's Day Daddy, and Grandpas! I couldn't ask for better ones!
Love ,
Cache
8 comments:
So glad to hear you're all home! I absolutely love his one month picture, he is most definitely a super baby! I wish I was home so I could come see him. You guys take care! He is such a cutie.
We are so happy you are all home now! I like to hear your perspective of being happy for the middle-of-the-night feedings...I need to have a better attitude. When you guys are ready for visitors, let us know, we would love to see your new guy! So happy for you all!
What wonderful news! We are so happy to hear that you are home and Cache is doing so well. That's awesome that he's gaining weight. I'm sure life is nice at home together. We wish you all the best. Enjoy!!! :) Hey email me your address when you get a chance. Thanks!
i loved this post, and believe me, I read all the details! you will be glad you wrote them all down! I'm glad I kept track.... cause you forget, even though its only been a couple months for me! oh little cache... i can't wait to meet him! He is adorable. I think he definitely looks like John at this point.... the jaw line and the eyes.. what are others saying? does he have any stephenson in him? girl, love you!! miss you!
yay!!! I am so happy you are all home now and Cache is doing so well! He sure is cute!! (and I did read the whole thing!:)
SO happy for you! Good luck adjusting to life at home. After being away from home that long...there's really nothing quite like it! Enjoy it. Hope Cache keeps putting on those pounds!!!
Hurray! Does this mean that Ashlee and I still might get to throw you a baby shower this summer? Just name the date! I cannot believe how tiny Cache is in that car seat - and I thought that my newborns looks small when we took them home! He looks so cute and handsome, and we can't wait to see you all.
Yeah I'm so glad to hear you're home and that everything is going well! What a cute baby and such strong fighters you all are!
I'm sad not to be closer to you guys and help out.... but I'm sure by about the time we get home you'll be up for more visitors :) Take care and keep posting!
Post a Comment