Wednesday, September 22, 2010

16 month Update, 17 week Update, and A Confession

Cache is 16 months old now. I feel weird calling him my baby, but don't know if I can ever stop. He is more like a toddler now. He's challenging the word "NO". He definitely knows what it means and is starting to throw little tantrums if he doesn't get his way. I really do mean little though. They don't last long he just lets you know how's he's feelings.

The other day we went into a store and tried letting him just walk with us. His idea of "with us" was of course different than ours so I had to hold his hand. He did not like that, so I picked him up. He did not like that either. This is the first time we experienced this and I know it is only the first of many battles of will. I have to say though that it is truly soooo fun to see him moving around and exploring things. I love watching the learning process.

Cache is social as ever. The other day we were playing on the sidewalk in front of our house. (This is our new afternoon pass time) The sidewalk leads straight up to campus so it gets a lot of traffic. Cache makes sure he says hello to absolutely everyone and begins to tell each one a story and sometimes even asks to be picked up. Maybe I should start teaching him to not talk to strangers.

Another example: We went to an Aggie football game last weekend and Cache sat on the laps of just about every person sitting in the row behind us. Not because they asked for it, but because Cache insisted. They were very kind and didn't seem to mind.

Cache is trying to talk a bit more. He's also actually doing some of the signs we've been working on for months, but now I'm nervous to keep working on signing since he's been more willing to try saying words. Right now he's says "ba" for bath, book, ball, and balloon, and "ba ba" for bottle. He says something very close to the word button when he sees them on clothes. "Du" is for duck, down, or done and sometimes truck. And he says Sheesus for Jesus in a cute little whisper.

Cache gets mad now every time we say, "Time for prayer". He lets out a little yell. Not sure why. He used to like prayer time.

I still get lots of hugs and kisses. I LOVE them! I do get the most out of everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm still his favorite. :) Cache gets sooo excited when John gets home though. They play hard and have lots of fun.
*****************************************************

My little bug is 17 weeks old now. As I have said before, this pregnancy is much different from my first. I do have to say that I am starting to feel much better. I still throw up every morning, but the sickness is no longer lasting ALL day long. I do have moments of complete exhaustion but they are usually at the end of the week.

I can't eat the same foods. I'm convinced that this baby, like Cache, already likes or dislikes certain foods. With Cache I could eat cereal every morning and that would get me going during the day. This time around I have thrown up EVERY bowl of cereal I have had. Cache did not like Fruit. This baby loves fruit. Cache didn't mind spicy foods, this baby lets me know that it is not their favorite. Cache liked popcorn. I throw up popcorn now. (Great visuals, I know) In the morning I have to eat like half a sleeve of saltine crackers before I have anything else. With Cache I would gag every time I looked at a cracker. Some would say that this is all in my head. I truly believe it's just these little ones expressing their unique personalities early on.

Sometimes I think it must be a girl. Other times I think it's a boy. This is where my confession comes in.
******************************

I'm afraid of little girls. I've mentioned this to several people already who all say it will be ok, but I'm truly terrified.
#1 reason - I'm afraid of having to play pretend. I know little boys do it, but not as much as little girls. I know because I was one. I use to have a pretty good little imagine. I was one of those girls who played house and school and dress up and LOVED barbies. Something happened in my teenage years though. I realized it while babysitting then, but am now confessing it. I HATE playing pretend. It's awkward, uncomfortable and I'm not good at it. Oh I've forced myself to try. I just can't do it. I even told John about it and he tried to help me practice. He now admits I'm horrible at it as well. I think this is why I don't like babysitting either and why I had to teach 10 year olds and not 5 year olds.

The other reasons:
Drama
Doing Hair
Attitude
Awkwardness of Puberty
Negative Media Influences
Girly-ness (a word? don't know but should be)
Moodiness
Maintenance
Dance Recitals
(These are all things that are scary, but not as bad as #1 and they are not as hard with a boy!)

This being said, October 13th is when we will find out what we're having and we will be excited with either boy or girl. I may just have to get a bit of counseling if it's a girl. :)


Oh and I'll add pictures later. :)


8 comments:

*LaUrA* said...

I love your confession! Man I used to be so good at playing pretend. My sister and I would go the entire day in a pretend world and it was so much fun. Now, I have ZERO imagination and have Zero amounts of fun playing pretend. So, I can pretend to pretend for about 5 minutes with Carter until I just can't anymore. Sad. Luckily Carter will usually take off with his imagination and will continue to play by himself. But it makes me sad that I can't do those things anymore. Why can't it still be fun and entertaining for us? But don't worry...you are not alone because I believe all of the other adults I have talked to about this are in our same shoes. Maybe that is what happens when our frontal lobes fully forms and is complete...lack of ability to play pretend.

I hear you on the girl business too and I understand your reservations. But I do know you would be a fabulous mother of a daughter if it just so happens you have a girl. No worries.

Chase and Nahomi said...

ok first off cache has the cutest personality ever! I love that he talks to everyone and isn't shy! Second I love your confession! You are too funny. It makes me laugh cause I remember feeling those same things except mine was a fear of little boys! I was nervous cause I don't like sports, bugs, dirt, ect.. but I LOVE having a boy and wouldn't mind if I had boys from here on out. If you have a girl your going to rock at it!!

julie said...

I totally understand! About pretending (ugh) and fear of girls! I am SO glad I had 3 boys (at least) first, because I think now after all this practice, I MAY be able to attack a new challenge like doing cute hair! Before my boys though, the thought really scared me! Among the other things on your list.

Emily said...

Pregnancy is a blast huh? I think you will be a great mom of a girl, I have a confession, I am terrified of having a boy!! (for a lot of the same reasons that you are scared to have a girl)
Good Luck, it will be exciting to find out what you are having. If it makes you feel better my first two pregnancies were very very different and they were both the same gender :)

Lisa said...

How many times did our moms play pretend with us? Just about never, right? But we had each other and other friends to pretend with! I too have lost my imagination/pretend skills, but I'm always amused when my one of children says something like, "Pretend you're my mom and..." THAT I can do!

There is more drama with my girl than my boys, but there is also a level of sweetness and nurturing that seems to come more naturally to her too. As too moodiness? Andy can be just as moody as Lily, even if he displays his moods differently. Unfortunately, the media will try to negatively influence both boys and girls albeit in different ways. Puberty is awkward for EVERYONE, and not all girls are "girly" or high maintenance. Doing hair is not my or Lily's favorite part of the day, but I also dread cutting the boys' hair every three weeks.

Oh. Hee hee. Where did the soap box under me come from? Excuse me while I slowly step down and back away...

The point is:
No matter who this baby is, you are exactly the mother she/he needs. What a lucky baby!

Jennifer Lyn said...

Cache is growing so fast! I love that he is so outgoing. And I totally relate with you on having boys! I guess that is why I am expecting girl #3! You will do great with either one. They will have a great momma!

Dave and Alisha said...

Im a firm believer that the pregnancy things are NOT in your head. I hate when my sil would say that, I would think do you really think I like feeling like this or throwing up but still gaining wt?? so I agree that those little babies tell us what they like and dont like long before they come out. and thanks for being so brave about saying what you think Im still not sure waht I would rather have, since i dont have either they both freak me out for many of their own reasons. but will be happy with either. we get to find out the 21 so ill post it. and look forward to hear what your having.

Rachel said...

I am sorry you have been so sick. That must be so hard to keep up with Cache when you are throwing up all the time. Don't worry about girls. I was and am a pretty big tomboy. But my girls came prewired with girliness and your own kids will suck you into their pretend, and when they are the ones you are playing with it won't seem awkward.