For the second year in a row the 5th grade at Ellis Elementary created a scene for the Pumpkin Walk here in Cache Valley. Last year I got the bright idea and thought it would be a good experience for the kids. Plus I noticed that not very many schools did a scene and I thought the kids really should be involved.
It takes A LOT of time and effort but we did it. So anyway, last years Theme for the whole Pumpkin Walk was "The Good Old Days". We did a "Happy Days" scene. We showed the kids a clip from the show (most of them had never heard of it before) taught them the song and let them have at it. The only thing adults really took care of was the scence. John painted it. Faces and all are done by the kids.

It was very hard and a lot of work and the weather was kinda crappy last year so that made things interesting, the scene fell down and I was all alone trying to put it back together. Not an easy task. But I decided I'd give it one more try.
This year's theme was "Calling All Heroes". I decided to choose something that also went with what we study in Social Studies so we did "American History Heroes". The kids researched American heroes, made info pages, painted faces, stuffed bodies, researched what clothes they would wear, and what props they would need. They did a good job. John painted the scenery. He's definitely the artist in our family. The weather was good this year and I felt much more prepared. I'm thinking I'll give it another shot next year.
Can you tell who all our heroes are??
No comments:
Post a Comment