I've been thinking I needed to post something but wasn't quite sure what. Lately I have had no collective thought about anything, just lots of randoms that don't seem to tie to together so I will release them here so I can try to find some correlation.
Random thought #1 - As I read over the visiting teaching message last night I realized I am very thankful to be born in this day with all kinds of modern technology. I've had this realization before, usually after I have either had to go without or have been saved by it. This time the cause of my gratitude was brought about by the loss of our dryer. Thankfully last Saturday I was able to complete all the loads of clothes and it gave out with just one load of dish rags and towels already in the washer. I never would have put them in to begin with because wet rags are not the easiest to dry. After two straight days of hanging rags and towels all over the house for them to air dry I found myself trying to think of how some of our ancestors ever got a towel or rag dry without it smelling. There is a distinct musty smell to wet rags and I can't stand it. I know they probably used fire places or things like that, but since I can't build a fire or hang them outside where they would freeze I don't know of another way except to go to a laundromat and spend my hard earned quarters. Hmmmmm..... I'm just thankful that I've only had to put up with it for a week. By tomorrow my dryer will be fixed and I will be back to taking modern technology for granted until the next very useful gadget goes out.
Random thought #2 - Why can't I keep my bedroom clean? This is the one place in the house that is the hardest for me. It's tucked back where no one can see it and so it ends up being the catch-all. Combine that with our lack of closet space, a very hardworking busy hubby with two jobs that require 2 sets of clothes a day, a toddler, and my lack of energy/inability to bend over anymore and it seems there is no hope.
Random thought #3 - How will I ever get a shower with a very young toddler and a new born? Some days I already struggle with just one. I'm sure I'll figure something out but that really is a concern I have.
Random thought #4 - What does it take to get a child to sleep in a toddler bed? Do they ever sleep as good in a toddler bed as they did in their crib? I've been wanting to transition Cache from the crib to the bed before Lil' sis comes so he doesn't think that all things changing are just because of her. I'm really concerned with how he will react to this new little creature taking over everyone's attention and I don't want to cause more stress on him than will occur naturally. He will have some time after she comes as she will be in a bassinet in our room, and maybe he'll make the transition himself and I just don't need to worry, but every attempt so far has ended with him back in his crib.
Random thought #5 - It's interesting how in my last post I boasted of not having thrown up in weeks and this week I have 3 times. Why does that happen? I don't feel as though much, if anything, has changed in routine or diet. Maybe Lil' Sis just wants me to pay more attention to her. Either way it's kinda funny.
Random thought #6 - Isn't it funny how on the same evening within minutes of each other, 2 different people can come up to you, one saying how little you look being pregnant, and the other asking when your due cause you look so uncomfortable and about to pop. Such different perspectives we all have. I wasn't upset by either comment. I've felt both feelings at times. Never usually at the same time until then though.
Random thought #7 - Will I ever be able to get up before 7 AM again? Just wondering.
It seems pregnancy could be the correlation to a few of these things. After starting to type lots of other thoughts and questions have popped in my mind which I will share later if they stick. Until then it feels good to unload some.
4 comments:
I just had to mention something about transitioning to big beds... It can be tough, especially with the first child. Things that worked pretty well for us:
-Give the child a quiet, not-hurty toy or book to take to bed. (like stuffed animal). If they get out of bed, take the toy away.
-Put up a port-a-crib, not their normal crib, up by their big kid bed. Give them two chances to stay in bed, and if they get out twice, put them in the portable crib for the night.
-Don't give in and put them back in the crib. That's what they're used to and often what they want. Make their new bed their new home. Give them their new toys and maybe special sheets or a special blanket. If they get out, make it unhappy for them. Our daughter Anna often said "I want to go to the crib!" after we moved her out of it. We had to quickly make the decision not to indulge that desire for her.
All in all, it comes down to the individual child. I find they tend to do things like they always have. Our son Lee struggles with transitions. He had a hard time learning to eat with a spoon. He struggled with a new bed. He had a hard time potty training. Annalisa has been much easier, just because of personality. So, know your kid, do what is best for them, but remember--you're the parent!
Well I don't know if this will make you feel any better at all but I had all those same concerns when I had #2 and everything just seemed to work itself out...now I am having all those concerns again with transitioning everyone to # 3 and I am sure that again, it will all work out :) Just life I guess! Good Luck!
Oh no Anna! I hadn't thought about trying to shower! That scares me bad! Navi will barely stay out of trouble as it is right now, how am I going to keep her away from a baby?
As for the toddler bed, I wish you better luck than we're having! I wanted to get her transitioned before the new baby so she has time to adjust and it's been almost three weeks of h...eck. The weird thing is it's mostly just at naptime that she fights it horribly. When she was in her crib I could lay her down wide awake and she would fall asleep on her own for usually 3 hours. Since we've made the change, she fights me no matter what I try doing to soothe her, and her longest nap has been an hour and a half. At nights she'll fight it a little but she will eventually fall asleep and she's always stayed in there the whole night. (knock on wood) Anyways, I don't really know why I just explained it all out but I'm pretty desperate for advice so if you get any good stuff let me know! :)
Make the toddler bed really exciting. Let him help you put it together and get sheets for it. Explain what is expected. I hope it works! Allie loved hers when we did that and she has always stayed in bed. But every child is different. No harm in trying and if he's not quite ready, you will know.
Can't wait for you to have this little girl. Good luck! I hope someday our kids can all meet up and play. We miss you guys!
Post a Comment