My Poem for the week is actually a Primary song:
I’m so glad when daddy* comes home,
Glad as I can be;
Clap my hands and shout for joy,
Then climb upon his knee,
Put my arms around his neck,
Hug him tight like this,
Pat his cheeks, then give him what?
A great big kiss.
Glad as I can be;
Clap my hands and shout for joy,
Then climb upon his knee,
Put my arms around his neck,
Hug him tight like this,
Pat his cheeks, then give him what?
A great big kiss.
Words: Anon.
Music: Frances K. Taylor, 1870–1952. Arr. © 1989 IRI
Growing up I knew this song and used to sing it to my Dad when he would come home from work. I was the luckiest girl in the world to have a Daddy who cared so much about me. We always knew that Dad wanted 3 daughters, we assumed it was to wait on him hand and foot, and that's what he got. :) He deserves it! :) There are so many things I admire about my dad. He is loving, kind, patient, smart, and funny. He played with us and taught us so many things. He took me golfing, to softball, basketball and football games. We bowled, biked, swam, and played in the yard. My Dad made sure we read scriptures and had family prayer every night, even when company was over. They always got a turn to read as well. His testimony is strong and he is a great example of exact obedience, even when it's hard and not convenient. He uses his priesthood to bless our family and I remember so many comforting blessings that also helped shape my future. I loved my turn for Saturday morning breakfasts with Dad. It was his way of a father's interview and it was perfect for him and us. I felt I could tell him anything and everything at those breakfasts. My Dad has a love for great food and would find recipes that sounded good and we'd cook together. Some of the recipes he found are now family favorites and important traditions in our family. My Dad loves my mom and always supports her, I love him for that too. My Dad is now an awesome Grandpa. Cache and Season are so lucky to have such great grandparents.
I love you Daddy! Hope you had a great Father's Day.
Now that I'm married and have children of my own, this song's meaning has shifted a little. I often think of it now when John comes home from a long day at work. When we can hear the garage door open, Cache knows that means that Daddy's home. He starts getting excited and runs to the door and shouts, "Da Da!". My kids are now the luckiest kids in the world with such a great dad as an example. He is fun, loving, and has such great ideas for teaching Cache during family home evening. His testimony and devotion to the gospel is a huge strength to our family. He doesn't hesitate to help around the house and I'm so grateful for that! I'm excited for what the next years are going to bring to our little family because of how great I know John will be with our children. I love and appreciate him so much and he's so good and letting me know he loves me. It's nice to know he's there to support me in all I do as well.
For Father's day all he got was a little card and a few necessities, but I sure hope he felt the love we feel for him.
"Lucky I'm in love with my best friend..."
One of the reasons John is great is because of his amazing parents. We were glad to be able to spend some of Father's day with John's dad. We sure love him. John looks up to his Dad so much and is like him in so many ways. Dave is hardworking, friendly and personable, a great example to us all and fun to be around. He is the best Father-in-law I could have ever hoped for. He always makes me feel loved when I see him, and I again, find myself grateful that Cache and Season have such wonderful grandparents to look up to and learn from.
Love you lots Dave!
Happy Father's Day 1 Day late to all the Daddy's out there. What you do is important and I hope you all feel loved. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment