Monday, August 22, 2011

Post Number 200: Dedicated to My Ancestors

I have been blessed to have wonderful relatives who were excellent record keepers from Journals to Letters to Autobiographies. We know so much about, not only our family history, but the history of the country as well. My grandparents wrote letters back and forth the entire time my Grandpa was in the Army during WWII. My Great Uncles Lester and Roy wrote letters to their parents during WWI. I have learned about the Economy, Cars, Real Estate, Agriculture, Travel, Communication, House Keeping, Medicine, Sewing, Cooking, Motherhood, and what Movies were playing. I've learned a bit more about the Church's history since most of them were active members of the LDS church. I've learned about how much family was valued and the importance of good relationships.

I am so blessed to have such great examples. The letters I've been reading are not littered with gossip or negative things. They are mostly positive, but also realistic and informative. I've been getting to  know my Great Grandma Ruby and her sister, my Great Aunt Ella Mae ( I may just have to name a child after one of them - never mind my previous post about naming children. :) ) I've learned about My Great Great Grandma Emma and what a wonderful mother she was. I've learned about my Grandparents, June and Eldon's marriage and relationship early on. My grandpa was such a wonderful romantic, and my Grandma so full of life, energy, and positivity.  All of this through letters that have been kept and passed down to my mom who is so graciously letting me read them. These letters have occupied much of my spare time over the last few weeks and it's so strange to feel so close to these men and women, some of whom I've never met or don't remember meeting. I appreciate the harships they went through and admire their courage and love for one another.

I've been thinking over the last few weeks about what a shame it is that, as a society, letter writing is being replaced by facebook and blog posts (yes, even as I'm writing this post). At the same time I'm grateful for this new kind of journal that I have. I'm grateful we can print off these blog posts and create books that may someday be read by those that come after us.

And so... Happy 200th Blog Post - someday to be included in a book.

June and Eldon Whitely. I think shortly aftey were married in 1945. Beautiful People!




A letter from my Great Uncle Lester to My Great Great Grandma Emma Asbury.


These letters don't even scratch the surface of how many there actually are! Amazing!

1 comment:

*LaUrA* said...

oooooooooh I LOVE LOVE old stuff!! The postmark 1917 had me itching to get my hands on it! I love that you have letters during WWII! I am so fascinated with that era and love reading things from that time. How awesome to have communication from that time! So awesome!Seriously what a treasure you have!!