A week ago Wednesday John got back from a 10 day work training in Chicago. Before he left I was actually very nervous for him to be gone and thought I'd maybe go stay with my mom for awhile. However, she ended up going out to North Carolina to be with my sister so that meant I would be on my own with the 2 kids all day every day for 10 days. I had experienced the single parent feeling several times while John was working in Ogden, especially on his late nights, but I really dreaded those days and I couldn't imagine tackling 10 in a row without any relief. There is a reason why our Loving Heavenly Father placed us in families and intended for us to have a companion. Kids really need a mom and a dad and Moms and Dads really need each other to talk to and support each other at the end of a long day. My heart breaks for those who are not able to have that for whatever reason.
Anyway, knowing we would be on our own I tried to make the 10 days feel different than normal. We went to visit friends in Provo and Idaho Falls (Thanks Lisa and Courtney for letting us come hang out!). We went to parks, ate out a bit, went on a Walk/Jog every morning in our neighborhood, ate Cereal for dinner, went down to Ogden to hang out with Emily, Josh, and Grahm, hung out with the Swenson Grandparents on the weekend, went Garage Saleing, and I'm sure a number of things I don't remember.
Every day I said a very serious prayer that I would have patience and the kids would be good and we'd be able to get done everything we wanted or needed to do. During that time I felt lifted. I felt like I was given the gift of extra time some days to accomplish what needed to be done. I felt like I had angels around me helping me, or even entertaining the kids so I could get a shower at some point. I know I was not alone during those days and I'm so grateful.
On the 9th day both kids somehow got sick. I'm not sure how or where it came from but Cache had a cold (cough and runny nose) and Season got a fever. I was not as worried about Cache but as Season's fever rose to 103 I started to get nervous. Luckily I talked to some wonderful Drs and Nurses over the phone so I wouldn't have to drag the 2 kids to the Dr and they let me know what it probably was and what to expect over the next few days. Everything happened just as they said and I only ended up having one bad night trying to keep Season's fever down by myself and then John was home and able to help.
It's interesting, as soon as John got home I felt my "help" leave. I didn't need them any more because I had my husband back and they could be about helping others. Today I look around at my house and the mess that it is in and I wonder how I managed to keep everything clean and orderly when it was just me and the kids. But I'm also not stressed about the mess because I know I don't have to tackle it by myself. I'm grateful for that. And so glad John is home now!
2 comments:
I feel you, only thing is I never get the relief because he is never here. Can't wait until I can. Thanks for sharing!
That seriously was the best day together. I am SO glad that you and the kids came. Tell Cache that "other mom" loves him.
Post a Comment