Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Still Learning

Last night I had a conversation with a sister in my ward that I greatly admire that went something like this.
Me: I would like to know your daily schedule because from my point of view you do a million things more than I can even think about doing in the same 24 hour period!
Her: Oh no, you have to understand that my children are older, and spread farther apart, and I may be a little ADD so I have to keep busy. 
Me: Well, from what I see I'm impressed and I told my husband the other day that I'm pretty sure you're perfect.
At 3 AM this morning after feeding my baby and laying her back down to sleep I stayed up till at least 5 thinking of that conversation and more. 

I started with my wish list.
I wish...
I was a better runner like ____.
I could get dinner on at a decent hour every night like ______.
I looked like ______.
I was as spiritual as ______.
I handled my 2 year old like ______.
I could take great pictures like_____.
I was as organized, crafty, creative as _____, ______, and _______.
I could keep my house clean like _____.
 
And that list went on for awhile until I had the most loving and gentle reprimand from what I believe was my Father in Heaven the the whisperings of the spirit.
It was as if he was telling me,

"Yes, but think of what I have blessed you with.

 "I gave you this...

...to help you enjoy the small and simple things in life. To savor the moments that could pass by too quickly. To bring you joy.

"I gave you this...

...to keep a smile on your face, and to keep you on your toes. To help you get your priorities straight, and to teach you more patience and love.

"I gave you this...


...for support and love. For companionship, friendship and to keep you laughing. For Eternity!
 
"And I gave you this...
...for a perfect Example. A Savior, Redeemer, Older Brother, and Friend.  

Sometimes I need a little reminder of how blessed I truly am. And I'm grateful for the sweet whisperings of the spirit that can keep me grounded in the simple truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Y'know what's really funny? I've often thought "I wish I were as gorgeous and sweet as Anna. I wish I could teach Sunday School lessons like John. I wish I could handle adversity with as much bravery as the Swensons..." I think we, as a people, all tend to compare our weaknesses with other people's strengths. So for what it's worth: I think you are pretty amazing and I love this post because it reminded me to quit agonizing over everything I'm not--and to be happy with everything I am. Remember Elder Uchtdorf's Forget-Me-Nots talk: Have patience and love for yourself!

julie said...

I feel like this a lot! But I've also been on the other side and lied..made it look like I was a loving and patient parent when really I'm nearly insane from my children. And not in an oh-funny- cute way. Seriously. Drive off a cliff insane. Anyway, maybe you saw this article.

http://www.kellehampton.com/2011/09/fitting-it-all-in-hallmark.html

But it helps me a lot. So maybe you don't do EVERYTHING. But no one does. We all do some things, and some things really well.

Dave and Alisha said...

I LOVE this post! I think, no I know everyone does this at some point and I like you have just had to learn... this is me and this is how I do things and it will have to be enough. But seriously you are an AMAZING girl!! And like one of your friends said some people want to be like YOU!!

Josh and Emily Armstrong said...

ANNA-
I got tears reading this post! It is absolutely wonderful and what i needed to hear! Love you!

amber-girl said...

What a simple post and yet so profound and powerful. It gave me the chills...you speak great truth with your simple words! Sometimes at the end of the day, I see all the things I wanted to get done, but didn't, but I wasn't bothered by it because I devoted my time to my kids. Something all of us moms can do is LOVE our kids! Thank you for such a sweet reminder.

*LaUrA* said...

Loved this post!!! You need to give this lesson in Relief Society:) We all need this reminder. Thank you for sharing!!

*LaUrA* said...

Anna...I shared this link on my facebook page. I hope you don't mind...but if you want me to take it down let me know. I just thought it was a perfect post to spread around. :)

John and Anna said...

Well Gosh, Thanks everyone,
and Laura I don't mind. :)

Shane and Amy Jo said...

This. Is. Perfect.
The End

Really...I needed this. I truly believe that the happiest of people are those who take time to recognize their blessings...every day.

I just love you!

laci said...

What a perfect post, Anna. It is nice to know that others have similar thoughts as I do. It is REALLY hard not to compare yourself to everyone else. Especially in a day of blogs and facebook when you see and hear about all the high points in their lives. I struggle with this one a lot! But seriously, I wish I were as spiritual and wise as you! :) You are awesome!

Traci said...

What a beautiful post. It's so true how easy it is to get caught up in wishing and wanting everything you don't have. I had this conversation just last night with Rem. Life can be so hard and busy, and I find myself way too often complaining about what I don't have and absolutely need. Then like you said, I'm reminded of all I do have, and it's sure a lot more than what I don't....
Thanks for sharing, you are such a great person, mom and friend. I miss not seeing you at least once a week!

Ju Pogibin said...

Beautiful, Anna. Inspiring! You're such a great writer, great mother, and great woman.