Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Top 5 reasons why we are Not potty training right now... maybe never.

5. Time - I've heard one of the best ways to potty train is to stay in your house for 3 days with a bare bummed toddler. Every hour or so have them sit on their potty and Wha-lah! Potty trained toddler. Right now I can't even imagine spending three whole days in doors. Nope... Can't do it.

4. Energy - It sounds like SOOOO MUCH work. I can barely keep up on my house, and my other needy baby, and the ever growing to do list I have, let alone set a timer for potty time every hour! Let's not even talk about how long it had been since I had gotten a shower before this morning. More energy is a must for this project.

3. My child can't pull up his own pants yet. I know he's almost two and a half, but he's always been one of those kids that likes to have other people help him, and I like to help... most of the time.

2. No M&Ms. I've also heard that bribing kids with a treat is a great way to get them to go in the potty. I think this is a brilliant idea and I believe parents who don't believe in this manner of reinforcement have either, never really been parents, or have abnormally motivated children. However, I have not made it to the store to buy candy and when I'm there I don't ever remember. I will one of these days though. Just not right now.

And our great big number...

1. Last night Cache had a bad diaper rash. We decided to try the bare bummed thing for a couple of hours so that he could get some fresh air on his little bum We brought his little potty downstairs. We thought it would be a great potty training trial run. We've had him sit on the potty several times before, casually though, just to try it out and see what would happen. This time we really talked about it seriously. We showed him how it worked and talked about if he needed to go potty to tell us, or to run over to the potty.

 Cache had only been maybe 5 minutes without a diaper when he peed on the couch. 5 minutes later on the kitchen floor and then about every 20 minutes for the next hour or so only making it to his little potty, just steps away, once.

I've scrubbed my house so it not longer smells like urine. If you come visit me there will not be potty stains. But rest assured, if this child is peeing every 20 minutes at the longest, we will NOT be potty training in this house for a VERY LONG time. :)


5 comments:

amber-girl said...

Hahaha! Oh dear! I dread potty training! I've done it twice now and it is so much work!!! If it makes you feel any better, Carter didn't catch on until after he turned 3, which is very normal for boys. Anna was potty trained at 2! You will find each experience is different with each child. Unlike your little guy, Carter could hold his pee in for hours! You think it would make it easier to potty train, but it was just as difficult! If I were you, I would just talk about it with your kiddo whenever he gets his diaper changed, read library books about it, you can even check out videos on potty training. Print off coloring pages and role play with animals and his fav play things...and try again in a few months! Good luck!! I will be at it again soon....oh the dread!!!

Lisa said...

I have so been there. And I LOVE your confidence to just let it be right now. Don't feel pressured by those whacky parents who look at you funny when you check your son's diaper instead of running him to the bathroom.

I totally agree with your #1 reason. If he doesn't have the bowel control to make it a couple of hours, he's not ready yet. That's normal, and you should not be one iota concerned.

I also agree with Amber-girl. Talk about it when you change diapers or have bath time. Let him sit on it when he wants to. If he is not ready, you're only setting him up for failure. If you wait, hopefully you can find a time when he will be wildly successful. :)

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa. The kid beats to his own drum. I like it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katrina said...

I'm wishing Evelyn was still in diapers! We are having some serious constipation problemsn 3 sounds like a good age to me to potty train! I'm thinking we'll take that route next time:)