Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Prophet for Our Day

So, today was a great day in church for a couple of reasons. John gave the lesson in Sunday School, and he is a great teacher. His lesson was on Samuel the Lamanite (Great Story) and for me the real strong message was how lucky we are to have prophets in our day to dispel any confusion we might have over controversial issues.
I don't really want to name any, so as not to offend, but lately in the Opinion Section of the newspaper there have been some things said that question the General Authorities on certain issues. This upsets me on a couple of different levels, because to me the issue is so very clear, but others seem to be so frustrated and confused. Also, some people that it's very clear to judge harshly those that it's not clear to, which doesn't seem right either.
I guess the opinion section might not be a good place to be reading for pleasure and to be uplifted, but it has taught me a good lesson these last few weeks... I am grateful for my prophet. I'm grateful that I know he is God's mouthpiece. I am grateful that I can rely on the General Authorities Council in Confusing times. I feel like I'm rambling, but these things have been on my mind these past few weeks, and I wondered if anyone else was feeling the same way lately. I guess another big lesson in all of this is that we have nothing to fear as long as we listen to, and not criticize our leaders.Thank Heavens for the Scriptures that teach us these great principles. I'd be lost without them!

5 comments:

Chase and Nahomi said...

HEY JOHN AND ANNA! I found your blog! YIPEE and I love your background by the way! (I have the same one, I guess we both just love fall) anyway well said post, I too have been offended by the opinion section in the paper. Was it the blonde lady? cause if so she drives me nuts! I agree with you, there's no confusion when listening to the authorities.

Lisa said...

I love you Anna Banana! This post reminded me of your wonderful mission letters that always cheered and uplifted me. You're so good at sharing your feelings and opinions without trampling on anyone else.

julie said...

Anna Stephenson Miller! Ok, so I have no idea what your last name is, so I just threw that in there. Hi! I've been wondering about you for the last forever! I'm so glad I found your blog. I have a confession though..I think I saw you at Smith's (like a year ago) but I was super white trashy and hadn't showered in days and was driving the crappiest of cars and you looked like your natural super babe self..so I just kept driving. So Lame! How's things? They seem good. I am so excited you started a blog so I can stalk you regularly now. We need to get together sometime! I see your folks around but I don't think they remember me. Anyway, that's all! Hi again! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna! I found you! I couldn't get into your blog before...you must have security. But then I could today! I read your posts and I am sorry you had a bad graduation or senior year, I did too. We should have stuck together. Well I love your garden and am very jealous because mine are all in pots, we live in an apt. So how do you like teaching 5th grade? I miss you so much. We had so much fun together. AND I have to thank you for setting me up on the blind date with Kacy Krieger, I think Sean Egbert was your date. Well keep in touch.

John and Anna said...

Ashley! I'm glad to hear from you! I tried to get onto your blog but it wouldn't let me on! Let me on!!