There have been several experiences I've had lately that have made me grateful for the way I was brought up.
I was taught to work. You work until the job is done. You don't let someone else finish it for you, and you never stand by and watch someone else do alone what you could be helping with. With this concept came the phrase, "Many hands make light work," which my mother repeated to us over and over again, especially after dinner when we needed to help clean up. I believe it! And will teach it to my children.
Also, if someone asks you to help them and you are physically capable, you do it. No questions asked. I'm so grateful for this knowledge but I'm sad to say many of the younger generation do not understand this principal. I've seen a few that do and I appreciate them so much. The ones that don't make me sad and have me pondering what I can do to help them understand this valuable lesson. It seems life has come to easy for them. They are being excused from hard work and it is a disservice, to them and the community.
I was taught to say YES. Now, at times in my life this has been a curse, like when I was in college and I would say yes to any crazy guy who asked me out. Or when less than amiable people wanted to live in the house that I was managing, and they got everyone else to move out with them. I did have to learn how to NOT be a door mat. But, for the most part, this saying yes has been a blessing.
At school we teach the students that when a teacher asks a "Cool Kid" to follow a direction they say "Okay" and do it right away. Shouldn't that work with any adult, not just teachers?
I was taught to say YES to a church calling. If I was concerned about certain details that the Bishop might not be aware of I would fill him in, but in the end, after knowing all my circumstances, if they still felt they should extend the calling I would say yes.
I was blessed when I was called to be the ward organist and didn't know how to play the organ. I've been blessed in Young Women's though at times my life has been quite busy (but whose isn't really?).
I was taught that if you were asked to give a talk or say a prayer, the answer was ALWAYS yes. Again, I've been amazed at how many young people have the guts to say, "No, I don't feel like it." First time I heard that I about fell off my chair. Really? NO?
Again, these are all things I'm going to teach my children. Now I'm not saying I'm into blind obedience, but if there was something I was concerned about I was taught to pray and ask for confirmation that what I was doing was what my Father in Heaven wanted.
I'm definitely not saying I've been perfect in these things at all times in my life, but I'm so very grateful that I know the value of them. The last few weeks I've been reminded of it over and over again. I probably sound like everyone's grandmother, but again, I've been taught to respect and look up to your elders. Just one more thing I will teach my children.
3 comments:
I love you Anna! And I'm right there with you!
I am curious to know a little more about what prompted your reflection on these life lessons . . .
AMEN! My jaw often drops at the audacity of the younger generations. I find myself often thinking, " I would NEVER have done that...and if I had I wouldn't have gotten away with it!" haha...I even think that about my own son...he is just not shy and can be so sassy...I was opposite when I was little.
You know...but you were also talking about adults too huh?...I just don't understand a lot of people and the actions they choose.
Anyway...totally agreed. Good thing Cache has such a good momma!
Amen Anna, Amen!
I feel the same! I always tell Nate almost the exact same things about helping others and doing what you're asked. (that I want to teach our kids those things) Especially with callings and saying the prayer/giving talks etc. We just got new callings and both our bishop and the Relief Society President kept thanking us over and over that we accepted the callings. In my head, I was thinking, "well sure, no big deal. Who doesn't say yes?" But apparently a lot of people do. I think that if you're given a calling, it's for a reason. You say yes, and you do it! :)
And as a teacher, you might feel the same, but I always tell Nate too that I want to teach our kids to respect adults. My parents always pushed that and I think it's so sad that kids now have no concept of that! When I worked in the schools I would almost get angry when a kid would tell me no! Just because I was taught to do what adults tell you and to respect them! (haha, ok I'm off my soapbox now!)
SO anyways, thank you for this post! I love it!
Post a Comment