Anyway, for those of you who don't know what the nipple shield is, this post is for you.
This is what it looks like...
It is $7 of pure heaven for the weak nursing momma.
The most common reasons to use one are:
- to improve latch-on when mother has flat nipples.
- to overcome latch-on problems due to engorgement.
- to assist infants who are nipple confused, preferring an artificial nipple to the mother's breast.
- to aid premature infants with tiny mouths, reduced or impaired suck mechanisms, or other physical challenges.(I got mine in the NICU with Cache)
- to protect sore or damaged nipples.
- to prevent sore nipples ( which one websites says is not proven, but I'm here to tell you, IT DOES!).
That same website listed this as well.
Problems frequently associated with nipple shield use:
Decreased milk transfer ( I've been concerned about this.)Increased nipple pain and/or damage (opposite there)
Preference by infant to taste or sensation of shield ( started to worry about this if I did lose the shield)
Reduced milk supply (Again, worry for me)
Interference with proper latch on
Maternal message of failure as a mother (This is a definite one)
And I would add - more inconvenient if baby is screaming like the dickens, which mine does when she is hungry and I'm not hurrying fast enough.
You can find one at most baby specialty stores and Target. I'm not sure about Walmart.
I just have to say that when you are having a hard time nursing, this is one ray of hope, or at least it was for me. Between feedings every 45 minutes and a gassy baby who doesn't want to burp EVER, and will spit it all up if she doesn't, the shield helped me keep my sanity for a bit.
***********************************************
Since writing the above I have to mention that today I've not been using the shield and I am getting a little tougher. Here's hoping... :)

2 comments:
Ha ha ha! Honestly, I never dreamed that my sweet, polite little friend would one day be public writing about nursing and nipple shields!
It really does take a little while to toughen up. I always liked using little Vaseline rather than Lanolin. For me, comfort is all about the right latch, but even then, those first few weeks back at nursing can be rough!
My friend also had a ton of pain nursing. I did to, but just for the first 2 months and then it went away and became super easy and not even painful. But hers was just awful & not getting any better. So she asked her doc and her son was given a special sucking binky that made it less painful. Sorry I don't know what it is actually called but is helps them with the sucking and tongue motion. Anyway, maybe you can ask your doc about it, if it still continues. Sorry :(
Post a Comment