Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Ruby June: What's in a Name?

If you know us, you know how hard it is for us to name children. Cache was nameless for a few days, although, in our defense we weren't expecting him to come for another 9 weeks. Season was just tough cause we were so picky. But with Ruby it was different.

 It started back after I had just had Season. I spent lots of time nursing her. She took a long time to eat and it seems like she wanted to eat every hour or two so that consumed my days for the first 6 months probably. During that time my mom gave me a few boxes of letters to read that were mostly from my Great Great Aunt Ella to her Mother Arabella (my Great Great Grandma) , and her sister Ruby (Great Grandma) . Some of the letters were back and forth between Ruby and my Grandma June. I gained a connection to these women. Their letters were like journal entries and it was a beautiful insight into their lives in the early 1900's. They talked about cooking, cleaning, feeding babies, changing diapers, doing laundry, making bread, attending church, planting gardens, dealing with finances, or naughty children and other every day things. They bore their testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ to each other and were remarkable women. All of them! I loved them and only actually new my Grandma June, who was a beautiful and special lady.  


My Grandma June.

Sooo... As John and I talked about names, the name Ruby kept coming to mind. We actually had talked about Juni as a name before. But only if our baby was going to be born in June, which she wasn't. So I asked John about the name Ruby June. It felt just right to me.  He liked it. It was a miracle. We agreed. We talked to the kids about it and they accepted it right away. We didn't completely decide until we saw her, but we knew when we did that she was our Ruby.

She is a special girl, our Ruby June. I told John that I feel like I've known this sweet baby for forever, and with the wonderful knowledge that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ gives us, I feel that we probably did know each other as Spirit Daughters of a loving Heavenly Father before we were born. I  know that my Grandma June and Great Grandma Ruby are keeping an eye out for their name sake and I hope I can raise her to be as wonderful as they are.
Cute outfit that I can only put her in once. It's too hard to get off and on.
In her bassinet by my bed where she will be until she is at least 6 months old. Or grows out of it.

This baby Girl is my most sleeping-est baby.

Ready to go... Somewhere. I don't remember where.

A rare picture of this little one. She's really quite happy most of the time.

Another Sleepy picture. I think she is perfect. 2 1/2 weeks old

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a sweet girl with a beautiful name and back story. She will be amazing - just look at her parents!