Monday, October 21, 2013

Painting and Kitchen Update

The End of September/First Part of October brought a bit of home improving. First we painted our Living/Dining/Kitchen areas.

 Before: Living Room

Progress





After: Living Room

I still need to work on getting things on my walls. And that rug does not match at all, but it's protecting the floor so it's staying till I get something else. 
Also, in the Living Room we hung curtains shortly after we moved in after we had a completely providential mis-hap with the ugly 70's blinds. I think the tan color softens and warms the room up. 

Before: Dining Room


After: Dining Room

Best picture I have so far. I'll post a better one later.


And now for the big Project - The KITCHEN! 


Before: Kitchen

 
 
Progress - with the paint
John is the sweetest. I woke up to this one morning and fell in love again. :) Ummmm... and excuse the mess. :/


We Painted our Cupboards!

 Have I ever mentioned how bad I HATE contact paper! HATE IT!!!!! and '70s contact paper is AWEFUL to try to remove! ***Tip*** For these cupboards I had to use two different methods. On the contact paper shown in the picture I had to score the paper with an exacto knife and soak the whole thing with Vinegar. Then I got another flat edge and scraped the paper off. Lots of elbow grease. Lots of work. Lots of swear words going through my head.

With the other 3 contact papers that I found throughout I could either just peel it up, or apply some heat from a blow dryer and pull it up. Vinegar did not work on the other kinds.

Good luck to you if you ever run into this problem.
 And if you are the one putting contact paper all over everything just know that someday, someone will curse your name, the name of your children, and probably grandchildren for doing so.

Blurry picture, but NO MORE CONTACT PAPER!!!!



 The Doors in progress. We added Beadboard wall paper, and trim. **Thank you Pinterest!**


 Woohoo! Here we go! We painted the inside too, since I knew I'd be so frustrated every time I'd open the cupboards up if I didn't. Plus, they would be soooo much cleaner! Just think, 35+ years of grime and dirt painted away. Ahhh.... :)


 A little better detail of the trim and beadboard.
Add caption
 Doors back on! No hardware yet, nothing back in cupboards. It was a disaster for a whole week.
What a Mess! It gets better I promise! :)


The man at work.
 Everything back in Cupboards and nice and clean. I stayed up late to do this. It was worth it.  Getting Better!


 Hardware added. Decorations Added. Curtain Added. Pretty!!!
 Love it!!!!! So bright! So fresh and Clean!
 We are still waiting to put in the bar stools I painted red and the drawer pulls I have to order off ebay. And eventually we'll redo floors and other things.

Before and after right next to each other. I don't even hate the yellow counter tops any more!

6 comments:

Cassidy&Dustin said...

Anna! I love how the cabinets turned out! I love how much brighter it makes the kitchen.

Cassidy said...

Everything looks awesome! Way to go!

Lisa said...

Amazing transformation--I love it!

Aunt Eilleen said...

Wow you guys are amazing and with a new baby too - Impressive. Love you!

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Ah-Freaking-Mazing!!!!!!!!!!!! You are wonder woman! Wow. So comforting to know that someone else is living a similar crazy DIY life! Looks so great. All of it. Now go take a nap!

Taiya Brown said...

It looks great! You guys have done a good job and your house is cute!! Congrats on the new place:)