Yesterday I planned to go do DI with the kids to look for a new computer desk. Ours is more of a hazard than a help right now and I'm determined to find something cheap but sturdy! As I was getting the kids ready I decided we would walk there since I didn't go for a run that morning and needed some form of exercise. I reasoned that even if I did find a desk it wouldn't fit in the car anyway and I'd have to call John to pick it up with the truck. As I was getting the stroller out I had the thought, "Take the car." I pushed that thought out and again rationalized that anything that I needed I could either carry or call John to pick up, and off we went.
Once at DI I found a few small decorative things that I could repaint and all things I could carry home. Perfect! But then I saw it. A toy cart. It was perfect. Just what I needed. The night before, I had rearranged the loft and John was unhappy with how the toys were less hidden with the new arrangement. I sat there after and dreamed about something to store our toys in and thought about what I would have to pay to find something just right. The toy cart was white and dirty, but could be easily painted, cleaned, and fit right where I needed it to fit. But I didn't have my car! How would I get it home? And it was probably more than I wanted to pay anyway. I couldn't see a price tag, so I walked away.
I walked all around the store several times before I finally came back to it and asked someone if they could tell me the price. That was it, if it was too much I wouldn't get it. The manager came back and told me it was $5. What!?! Ok, I'll take it. And so I dragged the cart all the way up to the front with one hand while I pushed the kids in the stroller with the other. This was going to be an interesting trip home.
Right after I checked out, a nice man came up to me and offered to carry the toy cart to my car. I laughed and explained that I would be walking home with it. He wouldn't have it and told me he'd drop it off at my house for me as I walked home with the kids. I was so grateful. Our trip home was way less complicated than it would have been. I don't even know this nice man's name but I thanked him over and over again.
As I got my toy cart home, these words formed in my mind, "Even though you didn't listen, I still love you." I again, felt gratitude and thanked my Father in Heaven for sending a nice man to help me, even though I hadn't listened to the gentle prompt to just take my car. How did he know I was going to be stubborn? I don't know if that man understands that he was an instrument in God's hands that day to help a foolish mom, but I hope he's blessed for his kindness.
Last night we had a Personal Progress night for Young Womens. The PP
Advisor had us pass off the first value experience for Individual Worth.
As we read the assigned scriptures I felt that the experience I'd had
earlier that day was teaching me about my Individual Worth. I have a
Father in Heaven who loves me and is watching out for my needs and
wants. The worth of my soul is great in his site. Who knew that a toy
cart would teach me all that.

1 comment:
I love this, Anna! That line "Even though you didn't listen, I still love you" needs to be framed above my bed. :)
Post a Comment