Saturday we went to my sweet cousin's baptism. I was excited for
Cache to be able to see a baptism, but as I tried to explain what it was
about, I found myself struggling with the right words. It is such an
important ordinance and yet I was trying to simplify it so that a two
year old could understand.
I told him that Samantha was
going to go down in the water with her Dad and he was going to help her
go under the water. I told him that it was important because Samantha
was showing Heavenly Father that she was ready to follow him. She was
promising to remember him and do what is right always and be a good
example. I wondered if he even got one thing out of that but thought,
"Oh well, we'll just keep trying as time goes on."
When
the actual baptism came Cache got to sit down in front so he could see,
and so did I so I could keep him from jumping into the water. He was
reverent for the 3 seconds it took.(I forget how fast it really is.)
Then as soon as she came out of the water Cache said, "My turn!" I
cried. How sweet is he!?! I knew at that moment and with that simple
phrase "My turn," that Cache understood on some level the significance
of the moment. I knew he didn't just want to play in the water, though
I'm sure to many that's what it looked like. I cried because though it
only takes a few seconds those seconds change the course of eternity
forever towards good, for those who are making that special promise and
commitment. I cried because it made me miss my mission.
It
made me happy to watch Cache watch the Baptism and I know that we will
need to make an effort to see several more over the next few years to
keep that enthusiasm up and so that when he is 8 and ready, he will
excitedly say "My turn!"
No comments:
Post a Comment