Monday, February 13, 2012

A Blessing

Last week was another rough one sleep wise for Season. I mean, each week is rough but this last week it was a different rough. This time she decided to wake up around 2 or 3 and stay up for 3 hours straight without going back to bed and wanting to nurse the entire time. By Saturday I was so worn down that the cold I had been fighting all week made a strong appearance. It's so hard to stay healthy without sleep!

Anyway, Sunday I noticed my milk supply starting to go down. John says that is an answer to prayer by itself since I've been worried about stopping nursing when Season turns one. That's another story though.  So last night I started to worry about what the middle of the night would be like again for Season, especially with a dwindling milk supply. I was worried she'd be up longer and more often since she wouldn't really be able to get full and we contemplated claiming the ox is in the mire and going to the store for some pediasure. This princess is opposed to formula and she's not quite one so cow's milk wouldn't be good for her. John offered to take one for the team and for a moment I thought it would be a good idea. Then I started to think of the sweet and meaningful prayer John had offered the night before, asking that Season would be able to sleep and get the nourishment she needed so she wouldn't need to eat as often in the night. I thought about the level of my faith and determined that it was not a good act of faith to go to the store on the Sabbath just so I would MAYBE be able to get a little more sleep that night. The pediasure could wait till Monday morning. I said another silent prayer that it would all work out.

Last night Season woke up once around midnight to eat for 15 min then went right back to bed and then at 4:30 to eat again and went right back to sleep we all slept till 7 am. It took me a few hours this morning until I realized what a blessing I'd been given, and I'm not sure I would have been so blessed if we had gone to the store last night. I received some much needed rest, and my faith was again strengthened! I love little miracles like that and am so grateful for them.

2 comments:

Ash said...

I think if you are ready for her to have cow's milk go for it. The 1st birthday isn't a magical day where all of a sudden cow's milk is ok. she's close to a year so if you feel safe giving it to her give it a try. I gave it to Collin early and it all worked out for us! You just can do it slowly like you did with solid foods to watch for irritation or allergies. I'm glad she did better and I hope she continues to! Good luck.

amber-girl said...

That's such a neat story. I know the frustration of having a baby old enough to sleep through the night but doesn't. It took Kya over a year, but I can't complain because we didn't face nights like you have. It's so hard to know what to do. I have read countless articles, books, advice on sleep training, and then just took bits and pieces and came up with a plan and went for it, tweaking it as we went along. It seems like just when you figure it out, the baby gets sick, or is teething, and they revert back, and you have to start all over again! Maybe your daughter will be like mine, and after the year mark, and they are interested in eating more and can have whole milk, she will start doing better. If you ever need to bounce ideas or thoughts around about it, you are always welcome to send me a message on Facebook or email. Hang in there...things will get better!!