Monday, February 6, 2012

Cache's Spiritual Side

 Cache is a special kid. He's very insightful, always has been. Even from the time he was in the NICU he could sense what was going on around him and was aware of others' feelings, like the other babies crying or a concerned parent or frustrated nurse. I knew that his spirit was greater than mine and it was a humbling thing to imagine mothering him. I knew that I would need to begin teaching very young about Spiritual things to help nurture that and so we started singing primary songs from Day 1 in the NICU. We've talked about and he knows the pictures of Jesus, the Prophets, Joseph Smith, the Scriptures, the Temple, Moroni, Praying, Baptism and other things I'm sure.

When I was pregnant with Season he knew her before she was born. He would talk to my tummy and hug it and when I came home from the hospital he knew she was no longer in my tummy but finally here for him to play with. I think Season's transition to this cold and bitter world (it was February during a huge snow storm) was easier because he was here for her. She knew him too and loved him. Who wouldn't really? :)

This last month our theme for Family Home Evening has been the Scriptures.We wondered at first if this was too advanced for a 2 1/2 year old. Previously we'd been doing mini lessons on being nice, sharing, prayer, obeying and things of that nature. We decided we'd give it a shot though and so one of the stories we talked about was Lehi and Nephi from the Book of Mormon. I was having a hard time trying to explain what Lehi was trying to teach the people in Jerusalem before they had to leave. I ended up just saying that Lehi was trying to teach the people to be nice. And then we talked about Nephi and sang the song "Nephi's courage", you know, "I will go I will do...". Well, It stuck. All of it! Just ask him about Lehi and Nephi and he will tell you all about it.

Another thing he's been surprising me with lately is his faith to be healed. Last week he pushed a chair over to the counter and climbed up to try to open the microwave and get the food out and ended up falling on his face. All while I was upstairs for 2 minutes trying to get something, I can't exactly remember what. He was hurt. His lip was bloody, his teeth were bloody and I was worried a few of them might fall out, his cheek and chin were bruised, his eyes were dilated, he was pale, and shaking, and he was crying the real pain cry.  After holding him for awhile and assessing whether I was going to take him to instacare or not, I decided that I'd try to get him to eat his lunch and see what happened. While trying to get him to fold his arms and close his eyes for prayer, a daily struggle, I mentioned something about asking Jesus to help him feel better. He immediately got into prayer position and was good during the whole thing. The rest of the day every time his face started to hurt he'd say, "Jesus help me". Ever since then any minor bump or scrape he's gotten he says,"Alright, Jesus help me." 

1 comment:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

This is so neat, my boys do some of the same things! Its awesome as a mother to watch this. thanks for sharing!